Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural,alt.politics,alt.california,chi.general
Brent P Brent P is offline

Default How Real Americans Can Compete with "Hard Workin" Day Labor

In article , trent wrote:
wrote:

This is a common canard - in plainer English, bull**** - of whining
economics-illiterates: that the "real" unemployment rate is much
higher than what is reported. It simply isn't true. Those people who
are excluded from the official definition of the workforce are properly
excluded. If you're not seeking work and you're not working, you're
not counted - and you *shouldn't* be counted. But dopes like you want
to pretend there are some tens of millions of people who have dropped
out of the workforce due to being discouraged, etc., and there simply
is no valid basis for your belief. The only basis for it is your
class-consciousness and your overweening negativity. Your ideology
demands that you make these absurd, outlandish claims, even though
there isn't a shred of theory *or* fact to back them up.

Leif, this Brent guy is absolutely amazing. All this started when I
simply pointed out that cheap imports are not all bad and that you have
to look at the positive side of the ledger too, one of which is people
can buy goods for less money. And I pointed out that this is a good
thing for everyone, especially low income families. Tthis is so
elementary, and obvious, it's incredible anyone, even those who haven't
taken an economics course, would attempt to argue it.

Unfortunately, your statemet of "Tthis is so elementary, and obvious,
it's incredible anyone, even those who haven't taken an economics
course..." is substantially devoid of supporting evidence. In
economics, nothing is obvious (thanks to statistics) which is why the
market does what the market does.

What I find amusing is that this guy and his sock puppet spend all their
time constructing arguments to knock down. I merely mention that the
unemployment rate doesn't count everyone and immediately 'they' create a
whole set of arguments and views for me out of thin air, not to mention a
variety of insulting statements. Rinse and repeat that for everything else.

They aren't discussing, but rather asserting and accusing. I let it go on
far too long with the trader guy as it was amusing at first. It just
takes too much effort to constantly correct them each time they assign a
view. The only thing to do with such people is to simply kill file them.

Beyond that it's pretty clear that their economics lessons came directly
from Rush Limbaugh. The least they could do is listen to the economics
professor that substitutes for Limbaugh once in awhile to have something
more than assertion from a radio talk show host.