Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe 46erjoe is offline

Default Amateur Drywall Hanging

On 6 Nov 2006 12:57:02 -0800, "johnnymo" wrotF:

Hello -

I am going to attempt to finish up my remodeling project with some
drywall hanging. I have never done this before and wanted to try and
knock it out myself before bringing in the professionals to finish it
off. I have been reading up on the subject matter and have gathered a
few tips, but there is one I didn't see alot on.

Should I drywall my bathrooms with the green board instead? Is it worth
it? And should I always do the ceiling first?

Tips:
- Most likely hanging horizontally
- Hang top piece first
- Using screws
- Start at the doors.

Anything else?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I rehabbed an old farm house I bought. Thought I'd save some money by
drywalling it all myself. Well, I did it ... but I regret it. It was a
real PITA. I thought it would be easy. It wasn't. I also made the
mistake of painting the walls with a satin finish instead of flat. You
can see every nail and joint. But it's too late now to do much about
it. I recently sold the house and I know that it sold for a lot less
because of the shoddy amateur job on the walls.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for a newbie to do a good job. But
I am saying that it is very difficult to do so.

Get a pro ! And if money is a problem, go for cheaper carpets, like a
Berber, to make up the difference.