Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing standing water from a sub-floor

John Laird wrote:
I have a modest amount of standing water in the sub-floor of my humble
abode, which I would like to get rid of before I go crawling about,
endeavouring to find where it has got in. Having wasted lots of time
with Google, I've not really found any simple, inexpensive, pumps that
would do the job, so does anyone have any clever ideas ?

The water is maybe 1" deep at its worst, and as far as I can tell,
most submersible pumps will struggle to get down to half that before
cutting out. I found a "puddle-sucker" on one or two sites, which
will go down to a few mm, but at a price. (£100+)

Hire a wet vac with an internal sub pump like this;
http://www.hss.com/g/58231/Auto_Pump_Wet_Vacuum.html

Wouldn't go to HSS myself because they are pricy, local independant hire
shop might have one.

The vac will suck the water up and when the tank fills the internal sub pump
gets rid of it. The vac will dry the floor completely - apart from any
absorbed water.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman