Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Laird John Laird is offline

Default Removing standing water from a sub-floor

Phil L wrote:
John Laird wrote:
I have a modest amount of standing water in the sub-floor of my humble
abode, which I would like to get rid of before I go crawling about,
(snip)

If the surface of your subfloor is below the water line outside (water
table) then you won't be able to drain it properly...what you can do is dig
a sump hole about a foot wide and deep and have a submersible pump running
in this via a float switch, or you could build a soakaway...either way,
atempting to fill cracks etc is a waste of time and effort.

It could be a leaking pipe, have you never noticed it before?

The locality does, as far as I know, suffer from a high water table. I
am aware it may be a problem with no easy fix, but obviously I would
like to find out as far as possible where the root cause lies. I could
live with a sump pump if it is simply a water table issue. Clearly, a
leaking drain would require more investigation.

I doubt it is a pipe. The water appeared quite suddenly, I think, and
is slowly evaporating. The sub-floor ventilation is good and I have no
immediate concerns about damp affecting the timbers unless the problem
persists for a long time (and even then, adequate ventilation will keep
the RH down). I've only recently moved in, by the way.

Ideally, I would like to catch it next time when there's only a small
amount of water lying about, if possible, and attempt to see if it is
coming from one area or if it is coming up somehow. The sub-floor is
concrete, but that's not to say it's in any way water proof throughout.

Thanks for your comments.

--
"He who lives by the sword laughs last."