Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default "Federal Pacific" Breaker box

BobK207 wrote:

wrote:
I'm glad I asked. You guys are amazing!

How much should I expect to pay to replace just the service panel and
all the breakers? (I don't do stuff that can kill me alone) Also,
what brand and size should I replace it with? It's a 200 amp now,
should I spring for a 200 this time around?

Thanks again gents!

The cost will vary depending on location.

I would suggest Square D QO type panel.

My main & subs are both Square D QO type & I am very happy with them

How big is the house? Good idea to do or have done a load calc.

My house (1930) had a 60 amp service (fuse type) that was changed out
to 100 amp Square D in the 70's before I bought the place. A 100 amp
panel is just a little small for my current needs but proabably not
worth a change.

A 200 amp panel is hard to fill up unless you're going to add a lot of
square footage in your remodel andhave a bunch of electric applances
(stove, oven, a/c, pool.

A 200 amp might be a little big but a 100 amp is probaly too
small....again it depends on current & future load.

cheers
Bob

My 200A 40 space QO is filled to 34 spaces. Two spaces for the Square D
"Surge Breaker" surge suppresser, two spaces for the generator back feed
breaker with the Square D interlock kit, two spaces each for the stove,
dryer, A/C, four spaces for two heating feeds, two spaces for the shop
feed, etc.

Pete C.