Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default lift cable came off garage door, how do I rewind the cables back othe two end pullys?

kell wrote:

I have no experience with torsion bar on my garage door. My other house
had lift springs which was pretty eaisy to fix. My wife backed out of
the garage and pushed the door in and the cable came off. What a loud
noise that was. the cables wraped around the end pullys, no tension
now.!! My question is how do i reset the tention, lift the door up all
the way to re wrap the cable around the end pullys? What is the best
way to do this, The garage door is 8ft wide 7ft high. any advise would
be great. Thanks Kell

As others have said, call a garage door service company. The torsion
spring type doors in particular are very very easy to seriously injure
your self working on. I fixed mine myself, but I was extremely careful
and didn't enjoy it one bit. Working the tensioning bars while standing
on a ladder feels a bit like juggling hand grenades with loose pins just
waiting for one to go off.

Pete C.