Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] kellyj00@gmail.com is offline

Default 12 volt Home electrical system?

Thanks so much fellas!

by the way, I'm in Kansas... the wire is probably 14 gauge or whatever
code is. The relay stuff was all that I was concerned with.... sorry
for stating "16 gauge" when it's actually the usual romex.

Very glad to hear I don't have to replace my entire house electrical
just to add a few can lights... From what I've gathered from all of
your comments, I can just work around these relays and switches and
just make new runs from my breaker box.

Art Todesco wrote:
Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 02:17:01 GMT, (Beachcomber)
wrote:

Correct. Momentary switches. The 24V is rectified, so
a DC pulse is applied to one winding or the other of the relay.
The relay then latches magnetically and needs no more input power.
A switch anywhere else in the house can then cause the relay to
change state.

A nice application is a large property where outside lights
can be switched on/off from dozens of indoor locations.
Or, a bank of switches can control *any* light in the house from
one location!

The system *did* catch on and was quite popular.
But this was 40 years ago!!

I remember these. It was sort of like an X10 system with wires.

One big problem was maintenance. These were usually installed in a
home during the original construction. The relays were mounted in
electric box cutouts with the relay mechanism outside the box and
inaccessible behind the plasterboard.

If a relay went bad, it was almost impossible to replace it without
smashing a hole in the wall.

The switches also went bad, from time to time. They were really no
more than SPDT momentary doorbell buttons.

I didn't know they made SPDT doorbell buttons. Every one I've seen has
been SPST. SPST would be enough for controlling relays too.

There is a whole line of switches made
for these things. Actually, they are
not strictly SPDT, but are momentary
SPDT with a center off (the rest
position). They have them in single,
double, triple, etc gang. When my new
church was built about 20 years ago, the
wonderful architect designed 2
multi-purpose rooms, but didn't put in
light switches. The switches, actually
breakers, were far from the rooms. I
can't tell you how many times, during a
meeting, someone at the breaker panel,
while turning off other light, would
plunge our meeting into darkness. There
were 2 circuits in each of the 2 rooms.
I put in the GE relays and 2 switches
in each of the 2 rooms. The circuit
breakers were marked, "you touch, you
die" .... well not actually. They were
moved to the bottom of the breaker box.
Anyway, I used the low voltage units
because I had to snake the wires through
concrete block walls, which is nearly
impossible. So, the low voltage wires
actually come down from the ceiling in
an adjacent closet. I could have run
conduit, but it would have been much
more difficult. I have had 1 of the
relays and 2 of the switches fail in 20
years. I think the switch failed
because the relay was intermittent and
people were pressing it harder and
harder .... finally breaking the switch.
BTW, I 1st saw this stuff in the 60s
in a custom built house. Also, in the
late 70s, I worked for a company that
used them in all their offices for