Posted to sci.electronics.repair
z z is offline

Default Which circuits warms up the tv?

Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 06:01:36 -0800, z Has Frothed:

Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 04:00:50 -0800, z Has Frothed:

[snip]

Based on what you have just said, I would have to venture the opinion
that you do not have sufficient experience to be working on dangerous
items such as a TV set with a switch mode power supply, and any
further encouragement that we might give you to carry on trying to
get to the bottom of your problem, is likely to result in injury. In
view of the fact that you get sound immediately, it is unlikely that
the problem is one of the psu being slow to start. Please just take
it to a reputable repair shop.

Arfa

The idea of this ng is for hobbists to try to fix, seems to me you are
forgetting the reason for this ng. I am not going to do anything
stupid, all I want to do is spray a bit of freezer spray to locate
this problem, I am not even going to touch any connection, so what can
go wrong? I will not take it to a repair shop, if I can't fix it I
will simply buy a new one.

Experienced techs will always tell the hobbyist to stay clear of
potential exposure to lethal voltages. I couldn't tell you in good faith
to go poking around inside equipment with known hazardous voltages
present.

Would you answer this? When your TV finally gets a picture, does it
appear all of a sudden with normal brightness and contrast? Or does it
gradually appear?

It appears normally, and the picture quality is as if I purchased it new
yesterday.

Ok so the CRT is probably ok. Have you noticed that the back of the CRT is
glowing orange (filaments) while there is no picture and if so, does it
glow with the same intensity as when the picture appears? If so the
filament source can be ruled out.

Have you read my previous answers? I said that the crt is glowing from
the very start.

Also have you listened closely to the
set when the picture appears? Is there a crackle of high voltage? Does a
relay click? Degauss hum for half a second? There are so many things that
an experienced tech can diagnose just using their ears, eyes, and nose.
I can usually tell if a set has HV just by looking and listening to it
with the back off among other things like listening for deflection scans,
flyback noises, smps noises, whines, whistles, hums etc... etc... etc...
Certainly a can of freeze mist would be the very last thing I would reach
for.

Not many if any are going to teach you how to diagnose a tv in person let
alone by posting messages in a news group. The assumption is made that you
have a reasonable amount of experience in fixing what you're trying to fix
and that you have exhausted any other avenues you have available locally
before asking questions in a news group that is propogated globally.

Well, I am not a professional, but I gather from the faq of this ng
that it is very hobbyist friendly. Having said that, the advise meeted
out is probably also on a hobbyist level, so is to be taken with
a pich of salt...

COOSN-266-06-25794

COOSN-266-06-25794