Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default Orders Of Magnitude, Relativity, Chaos Theory and Compensatory Craftsmanship

On Nov 7, 1:06 am, "Andy" wrote:
[snipped for brevity]

I know a guy who owns about 25 immaculate Gibson guitars.
Can't play a lick.

But he can hum a tune or two. Quite well at that.

He's a collector, not a musician.
He appreciates the art and craftsmanship that went into the making of a
Hummingbird or Dove.
---------------------------
I went to see John Prine a few weeks ago. He plays an old beat-up
Martin D-28 (used to belong to Steve Goodman). By now you have an idea
where I am going with this?
----------------------------
A local contractor was spouting off about "the old days when carpenters
were carpenters" and that HE could do anything the young bucks could do
without all them fancypants powertools. So I handed him an eight foot
2x4 and a handsaw and asked him to take off 1/4"...along the length.

He told me to go screw myself.
"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools", said he, who stood on
top of a 24' ladder with a dead battery in his cordless drill.
All in all, I completely understand where Tom is coming from but that
doesn't take away the fact that one of my business cards says: Old
world craftsmanship, new world technology.

There is the delicate blend of arts and crafts.