Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default How to murder people with wood?

On 6 Nov 2006 14:36:27 -0800, wrote:

I believe if you going to fear a hostile regime coming to power, you
should REALLY fear the one that could come to power if America fails to
protect itself.

But I don't, because it won't happen.

Your point about Israel is compelling however; I am not so sure that we
are as safe as you think.

Well, we've got facts, and we've got spin.

The facts say that a very small fraction of a percentage of our
population was killed, and two buildings were destroyed (the third
being only damaged) five years ago by a handful of people dedicated to
making a statement at any cost to themselves. They also tell us that
those people needed a great deal of time to co-ordinate, plan and
train for that single act of violence that shook our country. There
has not been a repeat performance. Given the lack of strategic
thinking that the current administration has shown in both Iraq and in
the aftermath of the flooding of New Orleans, it is a great leap of
faith to assume that they are so competant that they have thwarted
dozens or hundreds of attacks as bad or worse than Sept. 11th.

My guess- and this, of course, is leaving the realm of fact- is that
they haven't done it again because they can't do it again. I have no
doubt that Al-Quieda would just love to blow up the White House and
make us all pray to Mecca, but that doesn't mean they're competant or
qualified to do so- we're looking for them as they're hiding in caves,
for god's sake.

The spin tells us that none of us are safe, and that shadowy figures
in the dank underbelly of the Mid East are moments from destroying our
entire country with some undisclosed surprise weapon that will send us
into a new dark age. Just like it tells you that your children are
likely to be abducted at any moment, your food and drink will kill
you, and you need dozens of patent medicines to get through the day.

Remember the modern newsman's first principle- "If it bleeds, it
leads." Most news sources are trying desperately to fill 24 hours
with 15 minutes worth of news every day. If they can get you worried,
you'll tune back in, and watch for further developments.

Regarding the activists that are working towards things that ultimately
result in the weakening of our nation: Are you sure that many of them
are not actually enemies of the state? Are you sure you really want to
hitch up behind people who claim altruistic and patriotic values but
whose goals ultimately end up weakening our nation? I'm all for
protecting the constitution but a lot of them are using it as a weapon
against the establishment and our society in general. The more these
people break down our system, the less secure we become.

Yes, when a person stands up and declares that we need to follow the
rules set forth in our Constitution, I am sure that they are not
"enemies of the state." When someone declares that they need to do
some things that are illegal because they said so, and it's in our
best interest to agree with them, that is cause for concern.

Again, I will state this as clearly as possible. It is completely,
100% impossible to use the Constitution as a "weapon against the
establishment and our society in general". The Constitution *is* the
establishment, and is a set of rules designed to protect our society.
To defend it from fear-based alteration is not breaking it down, it is
preserving it for ourselves and future generations.

As far as "hitching up behind" people who claim altrustic motives and
toss around patriotic slogans goes, that is precisely what I am
warning against. I am not an altruist- I want my rights. And I shall
never jump on a senselessly patriotic bandwagon- too often, the ones
driving the truck are demanding that you follow without thought, lest
you be labeled an enemy.