Posted to alt.home.repair
Donna Donna is offline

Default Question about bleeding forced hot water pipes

Hi all!

I have a quick question. We have a forced hot water system (from
googling, it looks like a two pipe system - hot and return pipes, in four
zones). One of the bedrooms upstairs (which is a single zone for all rooms)
doesn't heat well. The baseboard will get warm-ish, but the room itself is
noticeably cooler than the other three.

Here are my questions: 1) does this sound like an air block, and thus
requires that I bleed the pipe in that room?

2) if so, can you give me a quick primer on how to bleed a pipe? From
googling, I think I should be looking for some kind of fitting to unscrew,
let the air and some water out, and re-tighten, is that right?

2.5) Do the things I need to look for to loosen and let the air out, have
any kind of uniform appearance? I can't seem to see anything like what the
web describes. Maybe I need to remove the housing around the baseboard
heater to find it?

3) Should I be worried about scalding myself?

Thanks, guys. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Donna

PS: although I can't visually locate an expansion tank, I'm assuming we
must have one, as we recently had a water holding tank installed, and the
furnace is newish (eight-ten years) has been recently serviced and
inspected.