Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Bill is offline

Default Okay, bought the lathe--now what?

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 19:42:22 -0800, phildcrowNOSPAM wrote:

'Preciate the input,

-Phil Crow

Phil,
At the moment you're all set. Grab a hunk of wood, tap the drive center
into one end and set it up in the lathe between the drive center and the
tailstock center and cut off all the wood that doesn't look like a leg.

Your needs and interests will change (particularly once you get around to
joining AAW) soon enough. That will be plenty soon to consider your next
tool purchase.

Recommend you grab some sort of instruction on sharpening lathe tools (I
use a belt sander for major re-sharps and a 'credit card' diamond file for
a few quick licks between pieces.) and take a look at the online galleries
a lot of private folks and clubs have posted.

There isn't a woodturning club near me so I am not a member of one, but
membership in such a club is highly touted by those who have access.

Above all, don't be afraid to grab a refugee from the fireplace and turn
a toothpick from it. In other words, 'practice, practice, practice'. Turn,
if you can, daily.