Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default 12 volt Home electrical system?

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:14:56 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

I'm very confused by the electrical setup of my 1965-built home.
Around a year ago, a home inspector told me that electrical projects
would be more costly/confusing as the house was built with a "12-volt
electrical system".

The switches are odd as I've looked at the back of a few switches and
they have 3 contacts each. one black/one red and one white. The wire
is stranded 18 or 20 gauge. When you turn any of the switches off or
on, you hear an audible "buzz" which is louder in a few rooms in the
house.

Otherwise, all of my outlets are 120 volt normal outlets, the ceiling
fans and lights are the usual solid 16 gauge romex, it's just the
switches that are odd.

I would like to replace these switches over time with modern two
position 120 volt switches so I can use dimmers, etc. Any advise on
what I should be searching for as to information about this '12 volt
system"?

-Jason

If that home inspector really knew what he was talking about, you might
just have some 12 volt AC relays switching the power to those lights.
The relays could be controlled by those switches.

The buzzing you hear could be from the relays which may have parts which
have gotten worn and a little loose over the years.

Rather unorthodox, but not unheard of.

If you're ignorant in basic electrical apparatus then seek help from
someone who can determine if you do have some relays located somewhere,
find 'em and see what can be done.

Please don't get PO'd at my use of the word ignorant. If you think about
it, no one can be a renaissance man nowadays, and we're mostly all
ignorant about more subjects than we're experts in.

I can remember my parents saying "ignorant" a lot when I was I child.
I didn't know what it meant then and thought it was a dirty word. I
still remember the feeling.

I think I'm a hotshot about things electrical and electronic, but I'm at
a total loss about many other subjects like music and the bible and I
was born without a sports gene. I even have trouble remembering which
two teams played in the World Series this year.

Is seems that I first got interested in electricity (and math) because
it's simple. There's none of that complicated (and weird) stuff often
found in human behavior.

In something like 2+2=4 you don't have to consider things like how
that first 2 feels about the particular shade of pink the + likes, or
the ='s headache and nasty attitude toward addition today. Electrons
don't get lazy and block the wires on Sunday, reciting bible verses
when asked to move.

Most sports are very boring to watch. It would take some sort of
personal involvement to enjoy such.

I have no problem with other people's ignorances, it's stupidity I can't
take. G

And stupidity is extremely common.

Good luck,

Jeff

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."