Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default 12 volt Home electrical system?

Speedy Jim wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

wrote:

As Speedy Jim said these are 12 volt AC switches that operate the
relay contacts for the normal 120 volts AC. There is nothing wrong
with this type of system. It is safer and more flexible. A certain
amount of hum is normal because the solenoid coil that operates the
relay contacts gets magnetized by a 12 volt 60 cycle source coming
off of a transformer. If the solenoid buzzes to much then it's time to
replace the relay.

This is a new system on me and I have a couple of questions for you.

What's the typical size wire running from the low voltage switches to
the AC contacts?
Could you demagnetize the relay or would that mess up the coil somehow?

The system has a 24V transformer (and a diode rectifier).
#18 gage low voltage wire (think bell wire) connects the switches
to the relays and to the 24V power supply.

The "Load" side of the relay (relay contacts) has 120V
with either #14 or #12 "house" wire connecting the relay
to the lights or whatever it is controlling.

"Could you demagnetize the relay"
Does not compute...

Jim

And one more thing, I wish my house had
these. It makes for real easy automation.