Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] phildcrowNOSPAM@yahoo.com is offline

Default Okay, bought the lathe--now what?

Well, not exactly "bought." I'm checking with my work tomorrow to see
if I can save $70 by having it dropped off at our loading dock at the
warehouse. However, I'll most likely be ordering one way or the other
tomorrow evening. Jet 1442, and I'm completely clueless. Hot damn.

As for turning tools, my boss's boss lost his lathe in Katrina, so he
offered me his turning tools. He isn't a serious turner (the
impression I got) and he said that his inlaws bought him a set of 8 for
about $300. When I asked him if he wanted to sell them, he said that
he would open some of his 5-gallon buckets full of tools soaking in
WD40 and locate them. As for price, well, I'll just say, "Drive-by
gloat."

Now I need grinders and jigs and slipstones, oh my! Or do I? I guess
a 6" bench grinder will do me for now, but beyond that, I have no idea.
Chucks, centers, rests, faceplates, sanders, wheels, dressers and
slipstones are all terms I've seen thrown around, and I would like some
input as to where to start. Assuming I've got a lathe, a rudimentary
set of turning tools and a bench grinder, what do I do? Start making
shavings? My interests at this point run to table and chair legs, so
fancy chucks and vacuum attachments seem a bit of overkill.

BTW, any turners in the Red Stick area willing to teach a new dog old
tricks? I'll buy the beer/coffee/cold drinks/lunch.

'Preciate the input,

-Phil Crow