Posted to rec.woodworking
Drew Bernat Drew Bernat is offline

Default Advice needed: splined long miter joint?

On 2006-11-06 11:30:38 -0600, "mjd" said:

I put splined miters in a set of shadow boxes for my daughter's
trophies, and instead of tilting the blade, I found I had an easier
time using a 45-degree jig (basically a 3-sided box out of birch ply)
with the workpiece clamped to it, mitered edge flat flush with the
table, and running that across with the blade at 90 degrees. It was
easier to ensure the proper depth of cut, at least for me.

Thanks for the suggestions! I already cut the miters, but next time...
more planning, less cutting. Sounds like a jig is the way to go.

And I'll look into butternut. Time to see what the local Woodcraft carries.

Drew