Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Default Are we this lazy?

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com, "bf" wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
And do you suggest, then, that the brake fluid needs to be flushed and
replaced every time the pads are changed?

Hi Doug.

Please don't take this as gospel, but I've been told the correct way to
do antilock breaks is to open up the bleeding valve, and then use a vice grip to
pinch the brake line. Then the theory is that when you push the pads back, the fluid
comes out the bleeder valve instead of "backwashing" back into the system where it
could hurt the antilock break mechanism.

The Haynes manual for my Saturn doesn't mention any such procedure; it just
says to remove the cap from the master cylinder reservoir, and use a C-clamp
to retract the piston.

And I can't imagine that pinching the brake line with a vise-grip pliers does
anything good for the brake line. Yes, I know you mean the flexible rubber
line and not the rigid steel line.

that was part of the reason I hestiated to do that procedure. Someone
that makes a living
as a mechanic told me that procedure. Of course, that doesn't make it
right...just giving you
an explanation that was given to me.