Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

Default refurbish a painted deck...

HankC wrote:
We have been slowly making headway on scraping the deck with the Wagner
paint eater. 4 ($14) replaceable pads have come and gone and the end
is in sight (oh! all those spindles!).

The deck looks like an archaeological dig. In places it is scraped to
the old (faux redwood looking) stain, in others down to the weathered
layer of pressure-treated wood and others to more raw looking wood.

Now, before we finish-stain it, is it a good idea to put on an
additional layer of anything or merely apply one or two coats of the
chosen stain?

Cheers,
HankC

I just rented a floor sander from Home depot. Had to pound all the
nails down,
which was the hardest part, then sanded it smooth. Not that much work.
Then restained it. One day job start to finish (16 x20). It was an 18
year old deck that looked pratically new when done.

Tom