Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,sci.electronics.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rick Onanian Rick Onanian is offline

Default NEW: "Ask Mr. Microwave" Blog (for immediate release)

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Rick Onanian wrote:
Share your pizza-nuking voodoo with the world, or at least with me. I
currently have to use the toaster oven. I bow to your pizza-nuking
superiority.

It sounds like you are trying to fix a frozen pizza in a microwave.

Nope. I used to do that, but it's just too icky. I'm talking about
reheating the product from the common local pizza joint. Maybe there's a
regional difference in locally-produced pizza product style?

They have never been cooked, so they have too much moisture. I used to
fix them on a "Black Angus" rotisserie oven by baking the crust on the
top, then putting it into the oven to melt the cheese, and brown the
toppings.

These days, for my frozen pizzas, I use a toaster oven with gimmicky IR
cooking elements which works surprisingly well and quickly. It's pretty
well balanced, although it could stand to be hotter on the bottom element.

I have been looking at one of those countertop pizza ovens, but I
can't justify the cost.

Like what? The Presto Pizzazz? I have one, it doesn't crisp the bottom
at all. Whatever it says about heating the bottom through the pan is a lie.

The aforementioned toaster oven that I like is a Panasonic "Infrared
Toaster Oven" and IIRC is pictured on the box cooking a pizza.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-G.../dp/B000063UZV
It's worth it's weight in high quality cheese, at the very least. I'll
surely replace it with the same when it falls by the wayside.

It's frozen pizza setting is perfect for a Tony's frozen pizza the way
my wife likes it. I like my pizza cooked until before the cheese starts
to bubble, when it's just liquified (but not browned and hardened much
of anywhere) and the sauce is at least warm.

The same oven is what I use for decent reheating of local pizza...but
I'd still prefer 45 seconds in the microwave on a plate to 2 minutes in
the toaster oven on a piece of foil, if I could get a decent result.