Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Mike is offline

Default Sloppy shelf pin holes: Help

wrote:
I am new at this so I don't know what to expect and I need some advice.
I know that this is woodworking and not precision stuff where you want
0.001 inch tolerance but I am getting some really bad results.

I am trying to drill some shelf pin holes using a PC plunge router with
a 1/4 inch carbide spiral bit, a 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch collet reducer,
and a shelf pin gulde. I clamp the guide to the work to make sure that
it doesn't move while plungeing the router, and I have cleaned the
collet holder and collet.

I'm wondering if you are supposed to be using a template guide in your
router in conjunction with your shelf pin guide. Is there any play when
the router is plunged into the guide?

I would look at the setup of your guide/router before trying to measure
thousandths or smaller amounts of wobble in your router bit - if the
bit is moving side to side enough to make a difference you have a
problem with your router.

As for shelf pins, I've always used a hand drill, a brad point bit, and
a piece of peg board as a template.

Mike