Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rechargeable Batteries

In article ,
Peter Crosland wrote:
As regards 'memory' with Ni-Cads I stick by my view. It was never a
problem in normal use.

The problem with, and always has been, with Ni-Cad cells is that they do
develope memory unless you discharge them fully and then recharge them.

Not so - they have to be discharged to precisely the same point time and
time again - very unlikely in most uses.

The problem with them is that people seldom do this and indeed often
leave them on charge day after day.

That is an entirely different matter. Many early chargers were crude in
the extreme and would soon damage a battery by overcharging. But that's
got nothing to do with memory effect. Makers of these cheap crude chargers
might well imply it was, though.

And if you think recharging alkaline batteries worth the effort or
cost you're the one who needs to do some research.

Please point to the post where I said about alkaline cells.

You mentioned recharging non rechargeable batteries. I'd guess few use
zinc carbon types these days. But these can't be recharged satisfactorily
ether.

--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.