Posted to alt.home.repair
joe joe is offline

Default Garage door extension springs

Turns out the old "double" spring was a 300# springs...the color coding was
arbitrary back then. Picked some up at a garage door store and we're back
in business.

"joe" wrote in message
I replaced the garage door extension spring with the same (I thought)
strength springs now the opener struggles a little. The existing springs
were "orange" so they were probably (maybe) 170# springs. I could only
find brown 160# replacements so I used them. Would 20# total difference
cause the opener to struggle?

OR....
The old springs were double..one INSIDE the other...not next to each
other. The springs were quite old and I'm guessing, again, that they
needed 2 spring to get that much strength. Looking at the pattern of the
orange paint they used it looks like they were painted AFTER one was
inserted in the other. Based on this I'm _guessing_ that the two spring
together make one 170# spring. Or am I wrong on this and the old springs
were actual two 170# springs!?

thanks