Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Turn or grind?

Michael
Just to piggyback on the message regarding sharpening. A sharp tool makes
all the difference in the world. If you are unsure of your sharpening skills
I reccommend a jig. If you do not have one, come on over to my seb site and
make one. It will take you less time than going to the nearest store and
cost about a couple of bucks if you have bit of scrap plywood handy. I
find it makes all the difference in the world.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"hwahl" wrote in message
oups.com...

Michael - you didn't mention the type of oak you plan to use, but your
ease of turning the oak will be directly related to your skill of
sharpening your bowl gouge. A 3/8th bowl gouge with a sharp fingernail
grind will handle the endgrain just fine. Ride the bevel and don't hog
it. I use a diamond hone to keep a sharp edge as soon as the gouge
seems to run a bit rough.
Good luck!