Posted to rec.woodworking
Kudu Kudu is offline

Default Trend Air Shield

Steve wrote:
You are most welcome. That was one of the big turnoffs for me too. I
can charge my cell phone in about 2 hours and it will last all day
and then some. Granted this unit requires a little more power than a
cell phone, but the battery packs are no bigger than 4 AAA batteries
bundled together and they can't provide a decent (fast) charger. My
feeling is that it was designed that way in the beginning. With the
intention to maximize as much profit from unwary woodworkers as they
could. Why else would a simple wall charger cost so much and take so
long to charge a battery.

Steve

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 21:24:54 -0500, "tdup2"
wrote:

Steve,

Thanks for the post also. I was going to purchase one and have now changed
my mind. The battery recharging issue would really be a pain. 14 hours is
ridiculous.

I've had my Trend Airshield now for about 2 years and agree with all
your sentiments. Unfortunately it was the only model available for me
at the time. However, I bought myself 3 AA size rechargable batteries
and the right size phone jack (2 of these) and made up an additional
battery pack. It fits neatly into the battery space.

As additional back-up I have a battery pack using 3 standard AA
batteries in a little box made from 3mm MDF, fitted the right in serie
connections and wear this in my pocket, with the cable with phone jack
over my back (underneath my shirt to keep it out of the way) into the
helmet. The lid of the battery box is kept in place with a rubber band.
Running both the battery packs (standard & rechargable) I get a full
day's work out of the airshield (while the other pack is on charge for
the next day)

Hope this helps
Eric