Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Arc Fault Breaker Problem

On 5 Nov 2006 12:59:35 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi all,

I have a spare bedroom that is serviced throughan arc fault breaker.
Over the past several months, the breaker would [once in a great while]
trip. Nothing was running in the room when the breaker would trip.
Typically, the breaker would allow me to reset it. Recently, the
breaker tripped and will not reset. I used an ohm meter and checked
all connections in the bedroom - 6 outlets, light switch and light -
and all seem fine. I even flicked the light switch "on" and measured
17 Ohms at each outlet, indicated no shorts or opens [the lightbulb was
connected across the circuit]. In addition, I measured the resistance
between each neutral and ground, and the resistance is low [less than 1
ohm].

I am not an electrician and I am at a loss. Is it common to have
problems with the breaker itself or is this more likely something I
missed in the wiring?

Thanks,

-JJ

Best case, the breaker is faulty. Worse case, you have an arc. Both
are better than worst of worst, you have an arc, no breaker trip, than
a fire.

Get yourself an electrician to check out the circuit. There is a
reason why the NEC wants bedrooms first [only required] on afci's,
because they do happen most there.

Good luck, and tell us what happened.

later,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com