Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] redwoodcoast@fastmail.fm is offline

Default Door knob -- can't replace!

RicodJour wrote:

See those raised sections that look like barbs on the plastic part of
the latch cylinder? If you've removed everything inside the large
bored hole though the face of the door, those barbs are what is holding
the latch in place. Press a block of wood up against the innermost end
of the latch and give it a rap with a hammer - it should pop right out.
If the latch has been painted over the paint will act as a glue, so
you should use a razor knife to trace around the edge to free up the
latch before hitting it with the block.

I didn't see what you mentioned, but I guess I got brave enough to hit
hard enough. I wedged the end of a cheap screwdriver into the door and
against the back of the latch and smacked it hard with my open hand, it
moved a fraction of an inch, which encouraged me.

I smacked a few more times and it popped out. Putting the new one in
was the reverse. Lock is now installed. Thanks again.
t.