Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken Johnsen Ken Johnsen is offline

Default TS-Aligner Fall 2006 Promotional Offer!

wrote in message
ups.com...
One of the things that has completely ruined other "hobby" type
newsgroups that I've spent years on has been people trying to make a
profit from the group. What happens is that the number of profiteers
increases over time. The group then turns into nothing but a bunch of
marketers and is no longer useful to anyone in the hobby. Fights erupt
when multiple people try to market the same product or when someone
profits off the free advice of another. Marketers then become less
"hobbiest" and more business men.

I really hope this group doesn't degrade into that because I've already
left two hobbies behind that have gone that route. I mention this for
everyone to consider. If there is no line drawn then ads from every
marketer of woodworking products will flood this group. I've watched
it happen. What's the difference between the OP and incra, delta or
any other manufacturer? I also think the OP was pretty bold to suggest
that we all pull together in order to make a bulk purchase. A purchase
that would basically send $1K+ in his direction. This is also a
practice I've seen in the two forementioned newsgroups.

I don't mind it when people who have products to sell come here to
exchange ideas and talk about woodworking. I'd just rather see them
limit their marketing to their own website. A hyperlink in your
signature is a lot less intrusive and would be less likely to offend
people than a blatant advertisement.

That's my .02 worth.

As a member of this group for 6 years I've rarely seen Ed mention his
product, but I have seen him many times add helpfull advice to us. I also
appreciate his giving the opportunity to purchase it at half price. I
purchased mine at full price & think it's a great product

Ken