Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Arc Fault Breaker Problem

Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
Hi all,

I have a spare bedroom that is serviced through an arc fault breaker.
Over the past several months, the breaker would [once in a great while]
trip. Nothing was running in the room when the breaker would trip.
Typically, the breaker would allow me to reset it. Recently, the
breaker tripped and will not reset. I used an ohm meter and checked
all connections in the bedroom - 6 outlets, light switch and light -
and all seem fine. I even flicked the light switch "on" and measured
17 Ohms at each outlet, indicated no shorts or opens [the light bulb was
connected across the circuit]. In addition, I measured the resistance
between each neutral and ground, and the resistance is low [less than 1
ohm].

I am not an electrician and I am at a loss. Is it common to have
problems with the breaker itself or is this more likely something I
missed in the wiring?

Thanks,

-JJ

Hi,
Mu gut feeling, the breaker is bad or it's feeding more than that
bedroom not in use.

..
If there is another identical breaker can you temporarily swap over the
connections? That might prove if it is the breaker or the circuit at
fault. Any possibility of dampness in wall outlets etc. that might
cause leakage current that could trip the breaker?