Posted to alt.home.repair
dss dss is offline

Default Refinishing hardwood floors: water vs. oil

NAL:

I installed oak floors in the family room and kitchen and put down four
coats of water-based MinWax Polycrylic and it has not held up well. The
kitchen has access to the backyard and is the most heavily abused floor
in the house. The kids are gone, but we've still got the 75 pound dog.

Small print on the can: "When used on floors, Polycrylic may require
more frequent recoating." I didn't read all the small print when I used
it. In my last house I did the floors in oil and it held up great
(although we only had cats then) and it didn't include the kitchen..

When the dog dies I'll redo it with oil.

dss