Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] timegoesby@my-deja.com is offline

Default removing grout by power tool

Pete C wrote:
On 5 Nov 2006 08:11:12 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

IME a wallpaper steamer with nozzle will soften grout, also might be
worth grinding down a cheap screwdriver for scraping the grout out.

AIUI the tile cement should form a waterproof barrier, if this is a
tiled floor then renewing the grout may not be enough.

cheers,
Pete.

Thanks for that. I never thought of a steamer. How long does it take
to get soft?

Not that long, I've steam cleaned grout and it came off onto the
scourer rather easily.

While the grout is out you could try getting some exterior PVA in
between the tiles to help seal any cracks in the tile cement.

cheers,
Pete.

Thanks. How long does the PVA need to dry? Goes the grout stick to the
PVA well? Do Wickes, etc, sell exterior grade PVA.