Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rechargeable Batteries

Terry W. wrote:
I have recently purchased a new digital camera which uses re-chargeable
batteries. I have not used rechargeables for 10 years and have the
following questions:

The battery pack says charge for 16-20 hours. Will I damage them if they
stay on charge for, say, 3 days or more ?

Is it advisable/necessary to use/discharge the batteries totally before
recharging, or can I recharge them when they are half used. They used to
say that rechargeables developed a "memory" - is that still true?

I've seen advertised charges that will recharge ordinary non-rechargeable
batteries. Are these any good ?

Many thanks for your patience with a non-techie type and thanks in
anticipation of your replies.

It all depends on the cell chemistry. Lithium batteries will not allow
you to flatten them, and contain charge limiting circuitry anyway. And
can only be charged with chargers designed for them.

Nickel cells can be flattened, but again its not good for them
especially NiMh.

The can be trickled forever..they dump it all as heat anyway.
..

Terry W.