Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill buffalobill is offline

Default three way switch problem

http://www.electrical-online.com/wiringdiagrams.htm

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35720230

stinky673 wrote:
i am wiring a three way circuit for a basement fixture to be controlled
from upstairs and down. I replaced the single pole switch at the top of
the stairs with a three way switch (#1), put a three way at the bottom of
the stairs (#2) and ran 14/3 wire between them. #1 switch is in a box that
has a 3 way switch already from a completely different circuit. I pigtailed
the hot wire from that switch to #1 hot. I connected the travelers to #1
and used the white wires that were pigtailed in the box from the other
switch,to connect the white wire from the 14/3 through to my new fixture.
Switch #1 and2 work perfectly, but now the other switch also turns the
light in the basement off when # 1 is on. what did i do?