Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Jet 1642 lathe

I have the PM, and as far as speed ranges, I would recomend that for
turning bigger bowls, say in the 12 inch range, and up, use the lower
speed range. You need the torque, and with a big piece of wood on, when
I turn it off, it is too much for the electronic brake, and it trips
the reset button. For spindles and smaller things, then I use the high
speed range. I also use the slow speed range for sanding bowls as it
will go slower than the high speed range.
robo hippy
Test Tickle wrote:
I actually just ordered on of these myself, about a week ago. It
should be coming in pretty sson. I hemmed and hawed for a while
between the 1642 and the 1442, and the $200 rebate on the 1642 made up
my mind. It's a little bigger and heavier, obviously, and has the
electronic variable speed as opposed to the Reeves drive on the 1442.
I just figured i'd never have the cash for a big Oneway, and this
should be the last lathe I'd ever need. It is far and away the most
I've ever spent for a tool, though.

tt

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 20:26:46 -0500, LBledsoe wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts on the Jet 1642 120v lathe?