Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.brewing
Gwidman Gwidman is offline

Default Freezer life when used as beer cooler

"Bob F" wrote in message
news
I seem to be having my second failure of a chest freezer
used as beer cooler. The failure mode is that the unit runs
continuously but doesn't get the temp to drop more than
a few degrees. It also seems quieter when running after
failure

The space it is in in my basement is currently about 55F.
The temp controller is a mechanical thermostat with
the sensing bulb passing into the unit between the lid
gasket and the top of the chest wall. The thermostat controls
the power to the compressor through a relay. The temp is
usually set to 35-40F.

Both units were obtained used for cheap or free, so maybe they
were just worn out. They seemed to work fine for awhile.
Each lasted a year or so.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Is there something that
I am doing that is killing the freezers?

Bob F

Bob,

Using the freezer as a cooler instead of a freezer actually puts less stress
on the unit as long as there is enough temp differential in the controller
to let the compressor rest between the on and off cycles. Setback, I think
it's called. If the freezer runs excessively, and the controller is ok, the
freezer is leaking freon and it's time for a new one. Please dispose of the
old one responsibly.

Happy Brewing,

gw