Posted to alt.home.repair
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Electric Co. backs down

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
That is BS. Electric company is to provide clean/stable power to
consumers. Also whole house surge protector is not 100% insurance.
I live in Calgary Alberta. In the past 40 years I never suffered
anything power related damage. During that time total power outage was
maybe maybe half an hour?

Tony,

I agree with your opinion on providing clean power. However, the problem in
these cases is not the duration of the power outage, but the transients introduced
when it is restored. Besides current spikes, the power can overshoot above the
120/240 volt standard and/or oscillate around that value until things settle down.
That plays havoc on any electrical system. One thing I try to do, if I can catch it
in time, is turn off all equipment, especially the AC unit in preparation for the
power
coming back up. Sometimes it could be a power station faulty relay that will
'chatter'
turning the power off and on in rapid succession. I'm not sure these fancy grounding
systems can compensate for that.

Sherwin D.