Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.brewing
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Freezer life when used as beer cooler

"Tom Biasi" wrote in message

Both units were obtained used for cheap or free, so maybe they
were just worn out. They seemed to work fine for awhile.
Each lasted a year or so.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Is there something that
I am doing that is killing the freezers?

Bob F

There is a limited number of reasons why they would be available cheap

or
free.

Let's see. It could be near end-of-life. Or someone doesn't use it and
doesn't want to pay the disposal fees to get rid of it. I see several

each
week on craigslist for free. The only problems are that now I have to

take
it down and pay the disposal fee, and I don't want to kill another if

I'm
doing the damage.

Bob

I hope you didn't think I was insulting you Bob.
I just wanted to point out that most free refrigerators are not working
properly.

I teach at a technical school, the school gets many donations a year,

almost
all the donated items don't work properly.

A tight recycle time can tax a compressor or a small coolant leak can

cause
your problem.

Both units worked fine for months at least.

I just transfered everything to a smaller freezer. It all fit, so maybe I'll
stick
with that, although I liked having the extra space.

I'm thinking I will add a timer so that it can only turn on once an hour or
so
to reduce the short cycle problem. I'm not sure by what mechanism it
would cause harm, but it seems like short cycleing is the most likely cause
of problems, since the actual run time should be minimal.

Bob