Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default NEC: is it "neck" or N-E-C?

On 4 Nov 2006 11:20:11 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 4 Nov 2006 09:48:30 -0800, "RicodJour"

Just as you mention in your post about referring to the NEC as "code",
the context would pretty much nail EMT to mean conduit and not some guy
with some bandages. You've got to pick one side, Doug!

Some people, when listening, notice the actual sounds they hear. This
comes before recognizing context.

I'm sorry, what did you say?

If someone randomly interjects the initialism EMT, yes, I would also
think of ambulances and spurting arteries. But if I were talking to
someone about construction and electrical work, and wiring and related
materials in particular, EMT means conduit. It's impossible to be
clear in any language without taking into account context. If
elaborations are required and the odd misunderstanding takes place, the
odds are it won't be a critical oversight.

I suppose I pay more attention to what is actually happening when I do
things, than some people do.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy