Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
steamer steamer is offline

Default Turn or grind?

--Novice turner here. I'm in the process of making a carriage for a
scale model of an old muzzle loading cannon. I bought the thing at a
swapmeet and it came with a "carriage" made of bandsawn Doug Fir 2x8: a
really ugly thing! I've found plans of gun carriages on the web (best
drawings: USS Constitution) and I'm freelancing one from an agglomeration of
ideas. For the wheels I'm starting by laminating two hunks of 3/4 oak, with
the grain turned 90 deg from one piece to the other, to yield a rough blank
that's 1-1/2" thick and about 3-1/2" dia. I plan to use a compass
to lay out center, i.d., o.d., then bore out the center of each, put each
roughly bandsawn piece on a mandrel and turn them to final o.d. This o.d. will
eventually be 'shod' with a steel 'tire', similar to the ones in this photo:
http://www.buytheworld.com/prod8336-...3_8_Scale.html
--But turning oak, well, my one or two attempts at turning scrap
pieces came out pretty dreadful so I'm curious to learn the do's now that I
seem to have mastered the dont's, heh. If it's more or less an impossible
task I'm thinking I might get more uniform o.d.s by using a sanding disk on
the rotating rough laminations. Any suggestions appreciated!

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : There's never a tachikoma
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : around when I need one!