Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default NEC: is it "neck" or N-E-C?

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 13:04:36 -0500, Tom The Great
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 14:46:00 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message
. ..
On 3 Nov 2006 05:34:05 -0800, "RicodJour"

Hi, I just wanted to find out how professsional electricians refer to
the National Electrical Code. Do they spell it out or do they
pronounce it "neck"?

People don't say oosa, fibbee, or niba. They say USA, FBI and NBA.
Same with the nec.

OSHA

snafu

Think 4 or more letters get sounded out like a word, 3 or less get
spelled out.

Is there a rule for this?

No, don't think so. It's been discussed a few times on
alt.english.usage , and probably also on alt.usage.english .

In Spanish, at least in Central America, they make a real effort to
prononce everything they can. IGA was eega. IGGS was eegs.

But the US FBI was still the effe bay ee. It took me along time to
figure out what he was saying.

later,

tom @ www.FreeCreditReportAdvice.com