Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Burning green/wet firewood

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message

OK, here is another question. My chimney goes up about 6-7', and then
bends. Last year I had it inspected, and they inspected up to the bend
only and said that buildups only happen in the first 6 feet or so. Is this
true? How far up the chimney do I need to clean, how far up is creosote
likely to build up? I have a steel double layer 6" (I think it's 6")
chimney.

They are most likely right, but no guarantees. The creosote will build up
where it condenses and hits the chimney wall. While it usually happens in
the first portion (from my limited experience) the actual answer depends on
the temperature of the fire, the temperature of the flue, the draw of the
flue and this varies along with the outside temperature.

In my case, I clean the entire chimney once a year, but I do the bottom five
feet about four times a year since it is very easy for me to do. Your house
will certainly be a bit different.