Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Burning green/wet firewood

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 18:55:05 -0800, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin'
spam wrote:

It's probably a misapprehension of the advice to burn long hot fires,
to warm the chimney enough to keep creasote from condensing there.

I dunno why you'd wanna do that, though, when you can scrape it
off with a wire brush and use it to treat your fence posts when
nobody's looking.

OK, here is another question. My chimney goes up about 6-7', and then bends.
Last year I had it inspected, and they inspected up to the bend only and
said that buildups only happen in the first 6 feet or so. Is this true? How
far up the chimney do I need to clean, how far up is creosote likely to
build up? I have a steel double layer 6" (I think it's 6") chimney.

Buildup of creasote is only one of the things they
ought to be looking for. THey should also be looking
for damage, blockages, problems with the roof penetration,
etc. If there was no sign of creasote in the part
you can see I wouldn't worry much about it
for this year, but I'd definately choose a different
person/company for next year. Can *YOU* get up
on the roof and check it from the top?