Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Subpanel wiring

wrote:
On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 16:54:52 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

The second ground rod would be just to make **really** sure you have a
good ground. You would do that if it was supplying the only ground for
the garage.

The ground rod is required at a second building.

Yes. I was talking about 2 ground rods at the second building. (I
would just use 1 ground rod at the garage if I was bringing a ground
from the house)

Getting 3 #8s in there is going to be hard but if you swab the pipe
with pulling lub and lub up the wires it can be done. You might even
be able to sneak in a #10 for the ground if you stripped it
I bet, in real life, you could get away with a 30a feeder as long as
you are not welding and using the other tools at the same time. In a
one man shop that is not unreasonable.

What about two #8s and two #10s? I think that's what I would use. That
actually is just *under* the maximum fill for a 1/2" conduit.
(Pawlowsk002 posted the equation) Then use a 6-space 100A main-lug load
center for the subpanel, and a 40A breaker in the main panel.

Best regards,
Bob