Steve Lusardi

Default Bridgeport on Wheels

Super design. This is a common problem. I like the special prybars.
Steve
"Toolbert" wrote in message
s.com...
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
m...
Has anyone made a Bridgeport mobile and if so, how have you done it?

I am thinking seriously about putting a Bridgeport on wheels since I
will be moving a number of times in the next few years.

TMT,

I don't like the part about routinely raising a Bridgeport 9.5" nevermind
operating it that way. Better to go with an outboard-underslung cart

where
the bottom of the mill is only 1/2" off the floor. Here's a link to the
carts I made for our move 5 years ago:

http://www.dogpatch.com/bobp/shop/mover.htm

Although for dedicated service with a single machine, you don't need 8
casters, you could just build an underslung cart that wraps around the
machine with a total of 4. Can get fancy with screw feet at the corners

lift the machine up off the wheels, but for actual operation you should

just
the feet to lift the cart, then drop it on some solid wood dunnage to

spread
the load. A prybar would work as well as screw feet for lifting it 1/2".

If you have a smooth clean floor there is no reason to use casters larger
than 4" dia, or even 3", at least within the load rating.

I used 4" instead of larger to reduce the footprint and in part to improve
the stability, on account of the swiveling radius being smaller. My carts
are all swivel because the point was to be able to maneuver inside a 40'
shipping container. It takes some work to get all 8 wheels pointed the
right way when you want to change direction, but with my design I don't
think there really is an alternative to all-swivel.

If you build a single cart with 2 swivel and 2 rigid, put the swivel at

the
side of the machine you plan to "drive" on. It's harder to steer from the
other end.

I think we are using the same logic for load rating - best to assume the
load is on 2 of the 4 casters hence your 1050 lb rating. I used 700 lb
casters in the twin 4-wheel carts and because of how the load is

distributed
on the flexible frame, I felt it was safe to assume the full rating of

5600
lbs for 8 wheels.

Grant built a pair of carts like mine using 6" wheels, I don't know his
exact reasons for going that route, they take more space and but his carts
are easier to steer and roll. The 6" wheels also put the wheel frame up a
couple inches higher, that might make the difference between being able to
move or not move an odd machine.

What color would you suggest the racing stripes be? :)

Bridgeport grey?

Bob