Posted to alt.home.repair
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Electric Co. backs down

Thanks for all the replies.

The reason I think the power failure did me in was the circumstance that the stove
ignitor worked for several years without a problem, up to and immediately before
the power outage, and then failed immediately afterwards. Too much of a
coincidence.

The stove starter is some kind of device that incorporates solid state circuitry.
Those
kinds of circuits typically cannot tolerate any swings or spikes in voltage. A
surge
suppresser MAY have prevented this problems, but for many electronic devices
of this type, they probably don't do much good.

As I mentioned, my immediate neighbor hood (about 1 block radius) has had a long
history of these power outages, more than one would expect from natural causes.
The power company probably has old equipment and doesn't want to spend the
money to upgrade. I consider this negligence, so their using this as a
justification that
there was none, doesn't have any merit. I am going to file the necessary complaints

with the proper agencies and the newspapers. ComEd is currently trying to raise our

rates about 20%, even though they are making big profits. I have no sympathies for
these bandits who try to wiggle out of responsibility for poor equipment and
service.

Sherwin D.

sherwindu wrote:

I recently put in a claim to ComEd here in a suburb of Chicago for a burnt out
stove electric starter. It was working fine up to a short power outage and
failed
immediately afterwards costing me about $150 to repair. They claim there was
no negligence on their part and denied payment. We have had more than our share

of power outages in my immediate area, and this one happened on a clear weather
night with no high winds. I have put power surge protectors on most of my
electronics
but failed to cover my stove. I'm not sure it even would have helped, but I
shouldn't
have to put protectors on every outlet in my home. I think they owe me.