Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf Leuf is offline

Default sanity check, please

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 04:51:28 -0000, "Bill" wrote:

I just bought a 3/8" Lexan router plate which has been tapped for leveling
screws around the edges but is otherwise untouched. I am intending to hang
a Milwaukee 5625 from it, eventually using it to raise panels for cabinets
around the house & shop.

I am thinking that I should find the center of the plate, drill mounting
holes, put a 1/2" center cutting bit in the collet, mount the Lexan to the
router and plunge through it for the initial hole and then repeat the
process each time I need a bigger bit ... up to and including a ~3"
panel-raising bit.

Pretty tough to plunge a bit that has a bearing on the bottom.

All the while investing in additional router plates until I have one for
pretty much every diameter of router bit ever made. And changing the
router base nearly as often as I change bits (best argument I've ever seen
for long production runs).

I can see how this plan might be workable if I could just secure
renewable govertnment grants to buy the Lexan, but I doubt if it is the
best way to go with my pre-grant seed money.

Your thoughts?

For my router table I didn't use a removeable plate, but what I did
might work for you. I put a square 3" hole instead of a round hole.
The corners are rounded as I used the router with a pattern to make
the hole. The nice way that worked out is that the corners get
supported by the base of the router, so you don't need any sort of
rabbet for the insert. So all I have to do is make a 3" square of the
right thickness, knock off the corners, put the appropriate sized hole
in it, and pop it in.

Won't work for out of the table use. You really only need maybe 3
sizes, 1", 2", 3" but having to change the plate would be a PITA. So
the simple solution, buy two more routers

-Leuf