Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.electronics
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default AC Adapters

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 15:00:36 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 10:28:10 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

I"m sure that accounts for a lot of things, but I've seen a lot of
other things where none of that existed. Just one example, my
wireless speakers don't have a clock, remote control, memory, or a
light, and one needs to turn a knob to turn the speaker on. Yet it
uses a wall wart that is on whenever it is plugged in.
I unplug mine. (I have one only in the bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, and basement, so
that I can listen to web radio wherever I am. But I only do that 1 to
5 hours a month. I don't need 4 wall warts runing 720 hours a month
for my 1 to 5 hours.)

You can always use a switch cord. That's like an extension cord, but
with both male and female ends at the same end and a switch at the
other. I've seen them at the local Lowe's (no grounding cords though).
I am using several of those cords now, to have switches in more
convenient places.

That's a good idea. I use one for the fan on the file cabinet, so I
don't have to get up when I'm on the computer.

And I used to use one to turn the tv on and off when I was in bed.
Then I got one with remote control that forgot something, maybe the
station list, when unplugged. The one there now might well not
forget, so I should go back to using the wired switch, which is easier
to find and easier to use than the remote.

A lot of TVs forget to be on once power has been removed. Anyone using
hard power switches or home automation would be interested in which
TVs don't have this problem. I have 2 Magnavox sets and a Sylvania
that don't. Both are 15-inch LCD TVs.

Remove NOPSAM to email me..

I know this is not email (and wouldn't suggest otherwise).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy