Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sailors10@gmail.com is offline

Default Paint Nitemare...HELP!

wrote:
Hi,
My ceilings have mildew & paint peeling again! I thought I had taken
care of this nitemare, bleach/water solution, scraped & filled, used
kiltz in one room & zinseller(sp) in the other...these are bedrooms.
Then applied a good latex paint, month later installed crown moulding,
beautiful, right? 2 yrs later in one room & not even a yr in the other,
my problem is back! I also have a new 1 yr old roof & brand new
furnace...the problem takes place on the walls facing the outside, which
is also floor vent placement.
The siding is only 6 yrs old and was well insulated. This is a
1-story older house w/attic, these rooms face east & west. Could my
problem be attic insulation??? how do I find out?....any & all
help/ideas much appreciated...Thanks....EL

I agree with the other comments and one additional thought. I assume
that the mold problem in close to the outside wall, since you
referenced the crown molding. Check the insulation in the attic to make
sure that it is past the wall of the exterior. The exterior wall plate
should be covered with attic insulation. In different areas the
requirement is different. Also there should be ventilation from the
soffit/roof overhang that moves air over the insulation and vents to
the gables or ridge vents.

-Lee