Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default power vent hot water heater/ eliminating the chimney

House Maven wrote:

I have a high efficiency furnace. When it was installed they capped the
old pipe to the chimney.

I will be needing a new hot water heater and roof in the near future.

My thought is to use a power vent ( high efficiency) hot water heater
and then eliminating the chimney. I would cut off the flue in the attic
and have the roofers eliminate the chimney.

I looked on-line for a power vent hot water heater and the only ones I
saw was a Sears. I stopped at the local Sears and asked about it and
they said it is in the literature but they don't know anything about
it. They would charge me $35 to come out to look at it before they
would give me an estimate. At the very least, the heater cost at least
twice as much as a standard unit.

Does my idea make sense?
Is there another source for power vent hot water heaters?

Thanks

Yes, this makes good sense. As noted, a supply house can order
one for you or suggest an installer.

Depending on where you live, you *may* need a permit.
And an inspection.

The installation must conform to regulations specifying
where the vent terminal can be outside. Probably why the
Sears guy wanted to do a "look-see" first.

There is some whining noise from the blower. If the
exit will be in a part of the house where the noise could
be annoying (like a bedroom) a timer on the heater could help
by turning it off at night.

You might GOOGLE: "Power Vent Water Heater"
for some good study sources.

Jim