Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default power vent hot water heater/ eliminating the chimney

You can also use a Field control power vent unit, but they do make noise:
http://fieldcontrols.com/venting.php

"House Maven" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a high efficiency furnace. When it was installed they capped the
old pipe to the chimney.

I will be needing a new hot water heater and roof in the near future.

My thought is to use a power vent ( high efficiency) hot water heater
and then eliminating the chimney. I would cut off the flue in the attic
and have the roofers eliminate the chimney.

I looked on-line for a power vent hot water heater and the only ones I
saw was a Sears. I stopped at the local Sears and asked about it and
they said it is in the literature but they don't know anything about
it. They would charge me $35 to come out to look at it before they
would give me an estimate. At the very least, the heater cost at least
twice as much as a standard unit.

Does my idea make sense?
Is there another source for power vent hot water heaters?

Thanks