Posted to alt.home.repair
jd karnes jd karnes is offline

Default Refinishing hardwood floors: water vs. oil

NAL wrote:
Thanks for all the response. The cost for the water is more than oil
by a little bit. The finishers seem to prefer the water because it's
quicker drying. If using water based, are there different qualities
(commercial use vs, residential)?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"NAL" wrote in message
roups.com...

I'm refinishing (professionally) 36 year old floors that haven't been
done since they were installed. I'm getting conflicting advice on
whether to use oil or water based finish. I have two dogs that play a
lot, so I want a finish that is the longest lasting. Any input? And
thanks in advance for your help!

Once cured, no difference.

Water is clear and has no odor drying

Oil will have a yellow tint and will give off an odor for a couple of days.

Some people prefer the clarity of water based, others like the warm color of
the oil base. Oil, IMO, brings out hte grain of hte wood better. You may
want to try a dab of each in a corner and see if you have a preference. Many
pros are using water because of hte odor. In either case, it takes a couple
of weeks for the finish to be fully cured.

also wait a few days longer than the refinish people say. especially for
any heavy furniture and use felt pads under everything.